On Friday from 10:30AM - 12:30PM Central, the DDEV team will conduct a two-hour workshop with these goals:
- Prepare folks for the Saturday contribution activities if they don't already have a local development environment. We hope to get all the way through DDEV installation and basic usage so that nobody has to stumble on local dev setup while they're intending to contribute on Saturday.
- Provide opportunities to learn more about local development best practices.
Contribution Preparation Sessions
These are small, interactive sessions that can let us work individually with people to get them ready for Saturday. Depending on the size and the match of the folks we get, we may split off into separate rooms.
- Intro to DDEV-Local on Windows (interactive, 1 hour)
We'll work as a small group to get DDEV going in a traditional Windows 10 (Home or Pro) environment. (If you're on Windows and can do it, we recommend the WSL2 approach instead, so if you can install WSL2, go to that one.)
Please download the latest Quicksprint Release beforehand, and read the README and feel free to get started. We'll work with you wherever you are interactively in the session.
- Intro to DDEV-Local on macOS and Linux (interactive)
We'll work as a small group to get DDEV going in a macOS or Linux environment.
If you're on macOS, please download the latest Quicksprint Release beforehand, and read the README and feel free to get started. We'll work with you wherever you are interactively in the session.
If you're on Linux, feel free to follow the regular Linux installation instructions ahead of time.
Either way, we'll work with you and screen-share to get you to where you have a project running and are ready to contribute on Saturday.
- Intro to DDEV-Local on Windows WSL2 (interactive)
WSL2 on Windows is the most exciting environment that's come to developers on Windows in years. It lets you run a real Linux environment inside Windows, so you have all your favorite Windows tools, but also have everything Linux has to offer. Especially amazing execution speed, but also every tool there is.
Feel free to use the WSL2 Installation Instructions ahead of time to make sure you can get WSL2 going.
We'll follow the same outline as the DDEV-Local WSL2 Screencast, so feel free to watch that.
Join us later on Friday for advanced DDEV sessions and join the Unconference planning for more information.