Wednesday, March 24, 2021, 10AM to 4PM
Community Onboarding Day is meant to onboard attendees to the Drupal Community. There will be something for people at any stage of their Drupal journey whether you are new to Drupal and the Drupal community or have many years of experience! Sessions will be offered with a range of introductory presentations to in-depth topics in the morning. The afternoon will be used to gather and organize for our Friday Un-conference. Opportunities will also be provided for small-group mentoring sessions throughout the day.
This year's new concept of Community Day sets out to provide a more human experience. We will begin the morning with short talks and discussions, and then split up into three audience-specific tracks.
- I’m new to Drupal: these discussions could include a review of the tools on Drupal.org, learning opportunities around the community, or a panel of folks discussing why they’ve stuck around the community.
- I do Drupal, I’m new to the community: Many folks Drupal, but not every Drupaler knows how they can leverage our incredible community. Here we’ll talk about issue queues, documentation, and novice contribution opportunities.
- I do Drupal, I’m involved in the community: This group could discuss Drupal core initiatives, triage Contribution Day tasks, or review mentoring opportunities.
These sessions won't be formal presentations, but rather, talks and discussions, between facilitators and participants. These discussions are meant to model the un-conference style of event we hope for this year's MidCamp. If you investigate more about organizing and attending, you will understand the potential of the format.
Bottom line, an un-conference event is successful because the results come from the energy, knowledge and participation all attendees contribute!
The second half of Community Onboarding Day, gather for a “Call for Activities/Topics” for the next couple days of our Thursday and Friday Un-conference.
- Thursday will be focused on building relationships in the community through social events, games, and lightning talks, and other activities that are welcoming to all.
- Friday will take more of a traditional Unconference schedule, with Birds of a Feather (BoF) discussions and more.
To encourage diversity in discussions, we’ll also be holding a workshop for marginalized, underrepresented, and historically excluded speakers on Wednesday afternoon.
Community Onboarding Day Schedule
Please note all times are in Central Standard Time. Use this site to help you convert to your timezone.
10:00AM to 10:30AM
10:30AM to 12:00PM
- New to Drupal
- Know Drupal, new to the Drupal community
- Know Drupal and active in the Drupal community
12:00PM to 12:30PM
12:30PM to 1:00PM
Activity and Fun Day Planning
1:00PM to 1:30PM
Discussions and "Call for Topics" for the Un-Conference to be held on Friday
1:30PM to 2:00PM
Speaker training for underrepresented Drupalists (timing is all arbitrary guesswork by Dwayne)
2:00PM to 2:30PM
2:30PM to 3:00PM
Opening Ceremonies planning, un-conference organizing
3:00PM to 4:00PM
Vote for sessions/call for more sessions/formalize general plan for Unconference day breakout
End of Community Day
Community Onboarding Day Objectives
- Give new attendees the confidence to bring a topic or activity to the table.
- Give everyone a plan of what they can expect for the next two days.
- Provide opportunities for connection and mentorship.
In the end, this MidCamp we’re encouraging all attendees to:
- Come as you are.
- Bring your excitement and ideas.
- Plan for lots of opportunities to engage.
- Feel free to step away as you need.