MidCamp 2021 is going to be a camp like none other. We’re tired of virtual sessions and we’re reimagining our camp to make it more community-oriented and interactive!
In early March 2020 when we made the decision to take MidCamp 2020 virtual, we had very little idea of how the year would unfold. Our 2020 camp was a blast, but 9-months deep into the pandemic in the US, we needed to reassess our situation for 2021. We did some digging, and tried to get back to our roots. Here’s where we landed.
- MidCamp is happening virtually March 24-27, 2021.
- It’s going to be something totally different—focused on humans and providing personal growth through collaboration.
- Tickets will be pay-what-you-wish.
- Keep an eye out for sponsor info, coming soon.
WHY are we doing this?
- We want to sustain the Drupal project & community. Local events are often considered the best onramp to the Drupal project, and we need to keep camps healthy to keep Drupal healthy.
- We want to maintain our presence as a brand and a team. MidCamp is now 7-years old, we have a great team of organizers, and we want to keep the gang together.
WHAT are we doing?
MidCamp 2021 will be a four-day event, but this year we’re designing the program (and the tickets) to be much more freeform and drop-in/drop-out. None of us have the time or the energy for four full-days of Zooming any more.
- Wednesday: Community Day. A new concept we’re piloting, Community Day is meant to onboard attendees to the Drupal Community. Attendees will be presented with a range of introductory presentations, interspersed with small-group mentoring sessions.
- Thursday: Opening Ceremonies. After learning about Drupal and the Community, attendees will enjoy a day of lightly structured activities to decompress, have fun, and have some human time. Twitch party? Gather town? D&D quest? They’re all possible.
- Friday: Unconference. Instead of formal sessions, we’ll do Drupally things in a one-day un-conference format. If you’re unfamiliar with the format, read about organizing and attending.
- Saturday: Contribution Day. Our traditional day to give back to the Drupal project. All experience levels are welcome, and you might even get your first core commit!
WHO is this for?
MidCamp is for “people who use, develop, design, and support the Web’s leading content management platform, Drupal.” We wanted to elaborate on that statement this year.
MidCamp 2021 is for:
- People who are completely new to Drupal, that could be:
- a technology professional who has never used Drupal,
- a recent dev bootcamp or computer science / information science graduate,
- a job-seeker or career-changer with an interest in being involved in a vibrant and supportive web development community.
- Mid to Senior-level professionals who work with Drupal in any fashion.
- Drupal contributors of any kind.
WHERE is it?
The Internet. We’ll host activities across a variety of platforms, but all will be accessible from anywhere in the world.
WHEN is it?
March 24-27, 2021. Most activities will occur during business hours, Central TIme.
HOW (much) is it?
As our event will be non-traditional and much less costly to run than an in-person event, MidCamp 2021 will be pay-what-you-wish. Individual and corporate sponsorship information is coming soon.