We have all heard how writing tests can improve the quality of projects, but how many of us do it? Do we not write tests because the cost of writing tests is too high, the effort to maintaining a test suite is too great, or that it's still too hard to get started? That's what I thought too. Then I tried to write this talk and I pleasantly surprised to discover that you can reduce the cost of testing to the point where writing tests becomes just another tool in your Detective Coder toolset.
In this talk we'll talk through:
- Why people don't write tests
- How to get your test runner running
- How to write your first test
- Walk through examples of the kinds of tests you'll most likely be writing for a Drupal project
- Talk about testing strategies: what makes a good test vs a bad test.
Getting this talk ready was quite an adventure and I have a lot I'd like to share. My goal is get you more comfortable writing tests.