"Provison" is the name given to the back-end commands that power the Aegir Hosting Project.
After 10 years of commit history, it's become clear it's time for an overhaul.
The new Provision CLI is being rewritten from the ground up as a standalone CLI.
Built in Symfony Console components, it is being designed to be as easy as possible to use.
- Quickly launch Drupal and other websites from source code.
- Service Agnostic and pluggable. Support any web server (Apache, Nginx, Docker, Kubernetes,
php -s), any database server (MySQL, MariaDB, SQLite). Allow contributed services.
- Run Anywhere. PHP-CLI works on Mac, Linux, Local, Metal, or Cloud. (Windows support should be possible, especially since you can now run ubuntu bash).
- Makes a great development environment and tool for automated testing and CI.
- Targeted to less technical users.
Can Provision become the defacto standard for launching Drupal on your own servers and your own laptop? Can we really use the same tool for hosting in production, testing, development, and locally? Is it wrong to use a PHP CLI tool for DevOps??
Find out this, and more at this MidCamp 2018 Session!