Leverage the power of WordPress in new ways for mission-driven organizations.
As the primary WordPress developer, you’ll address architectural challenges for socially-minded organizations from around the world – from small nonprofits to enterprise clients. You’ll report to the Director of Technology and work closely with a senior-level WordPress technical project manager, UX practitioners, and other developers to expand our WordPress practice. In the last six months, we have developed a custom theme and page builder combo that you’ll own and evolve to help create user-centered content authoring experiences, and framework-based approaches.
We’re not looking for an automaton who sits around waiting for tickets to be assigned. We’re looking for an engaged, proactive team member who is comfortable meeting and interacting with our clients on a regular basis, helping to prepare documentation, and delivering training sessions. You should also have enough experience to gracefully push back against poorly thought out ideas and client requests, persuading your PM and clients alike that your proposed solution would better address the product’s needs.
Candidates for this remote position must reside in the US or Canada. BIPOC applicants will receive priority consideration, particularly if some expressed qualifications can be equivocated with lived experience. If you’re a recruiter or agency, please don’t contact us.
- Excellent communication skills for both internal and client-facing communications.
- Time management and prioritization skills to balance long-term innovation with client project needs.
- Advanced, senior-level experience developing and theming. Design will supply assets in Figma+Zeplin and you’ll either do the rest yourself, or with other devs behind you on large projects.
- Can write your own plugins to solve customer problems. And know when an existing plugin is best.
- Mastery of web standards and best practices, particularly the ability to write meaningful, semantic HTML that responds across devices and breakpoints, degrades gracefully, and meets (or exceeds) the latest accessibility guidelines.
- Comfortable with modern development practices and build tools. We use JIRA extensively, GitHub, CircleCI, Composer, etc.
- Manage updates across multiple sites and maintain workflows for core and plugins.
- Optimize performance with caching and monitoring.
- Familiarity with modern website security best practices for WordPress and beyond.
- Agile experience working with teams leveraging Scrum, Kanban or similar methodologies.
- Familiarity with component-driven design practices
- Wordpress migration experience
You might also know about
- Cloud hosting with WP Engine and/or Pantheon
- Web analytics
- User experience, information architecture
- Writing clear and concise documentation
- Knowledge of other frameworks like Drupal, Craft, React, or Gatsby