Esteemed is seeking a solid senior Drupal Developer to work on complex, enterprise-level Drupal 8 and 9 projects. If you are passionate about working on fun and challenging projects, this is the start of a great career move. This is a position for progressive developers who love professional development and tightening the loop between learning, open-source contribution, and real-world application.
As a Drupal Developer, you’ll spend your time creating custom functionality on new and existing projects in Drupal 8 and 9, with a focus on backend development. The Drupal Developer will spend 80% of their time writing great code, 10% reviewing code of peer developers and/or contractors, and 10% ensuring projects are aligned alongside dedicated project managers.
Additional responsibilities include:
- Applying architectural knowledge to new projects
- Engineering large scale and complex websites using Drupal, including custom module development, key contributed modules and the core API.
- Maintain and administer Drupal modules and sites
- Applying knowledge in SQL, relational databases and MySQL
- Integrating open source and third-party applications into existing systems
- Writing clean, well designed code, following industry best practices.
- Senior level: Solving complex performance problems and architectural challenges.
- Assisting the sales process with estimates on future work.
- Providing peer review to others.
- Senior level: Mentoring more junior team members.
Required Key Skills and Education
- Working knowledge of Drupal 8+, including dependent technologies, e.g. Symfony framework components.
- Our Drupal practice is heavy on Drupal Commerce, so experience in this ecosystem or JSON:API and decoupled environments is strongly preferred. Strong underlying software development lifecycle knowledge and skills are required – be prepared to debate the merits of service decoration vs. replacement.
- Experience with complex codebases; ability to install from source, scaffold example content and work on sites without requiring database dumps or production artifacts.
- Knowledgeable and opinionated about software maintainability. A stickler for inline and user documentation as well as OOP development patterns that yield maintainable code.
- Experience contributing to both Drupal and other upstream projects; tell us how you solved a problem for a client by submitting bug fixes?
- Up-to-date on new and upcoming language constructs. Help us roll out opcode preloading for Drupal 9.
- Comfort at the SQL command line.
- Skills in writing unit, kernel, browser and functional tests, and can debug them in the IDE.
- Debugging fu with Xdebug and other profilers.
- You can write Twig and debug it with breakpoints in PhpStorm, too.
- Experience as a member of a team using SDLC basics like CI/CD, constructive code review and mentoring of juniors.
- Strong command-line git skill.